Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 15 Replies) Issues with Chromium Version 40.0.2214.94 (64-bit) (Read 55158 times)
Jerry Krinock
Admin
Re: Issues with Chromium Version 40.0.2214.94 (64-bit)
Reply #44 - Mar 3rd, 2015 at 2:57pm
Print Post  
It's been somewhat overlooked due to other issues, although yesterday I did try without success for about 20 minutes to reproduce the problem.  I think there is something in your bookmarks which causes Chromium to barf when BookMacster exports while Chromium is not running.  I shall write up a detailed procedure of how you can reproduce the problem without sending us your bookmarks, and maybe we can find the trouble that way.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

FatalError
Ex Member
Reply #43 - Mar 3rd, 2015 at 11:20am
Print Post  
How's this evolving? Where you able to spend more time? I understand this is a total edge case. Chromium is still exotic for users, although it should be preferred over the google infested chrome variant.

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #42 - Feb 24th, 2015 at 6:41am
Print Post  
We're still working on it, FatalError.  During some testing today I saw it happen once.  We're a little closer.  But it appears that this one is not going to fix itself.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

FatalError
Ex Member
Reply #41 - Feb 23rd, 2015 at 11:28am
Print Post  
After thinking this might be solved Sheep-Sys-Worker error appeared:

An error has occurred.
23.02.2015 12:25

To launch BookMacster and view Errors now, click "View".

To save until the next time you launch BookMacster, click "Next Time".

View

An Export operation was aborted because it would have caused 11 items to be added to, 302 items to be updated in, and 11 items to be deleted from Chromium.

The total, 324 changes, exceeds your Safe Sync Limit of 25 for Chromium.

Suggestion to Fix this Error:
Click 'Open' to open the document.  Then retry manually by clicking in the menu: File > Export to all.  You'll get more info.

✔  To prevent recurrence, syncing has been switched off.  To resume syncing, after the issue is resolved, click the 'Syncing' button in the toolbar.

When this error occurred:
2015-02-23 12:25:12

Open

cmd y, cmd u
chromium warning msg
Export anyhow

cmd y, cmd u
all good

open chromium, close chromum

cmd y , cmd u
back to warning message.

not fixed - sorry

IP Logged

FatalError
Ex Member
Reply #40 - Feb 21st, 2015 at 9:58am
Print Post  
Mail sent with more observations and testing.

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #39 - Feb 21st, 2015 at 3:12am
Print Post  
Hello, FataError.

Thank you for your persistence.  Please do this:

• Activate BookMacster.
• Click in the menu: BookMacster > Logs.  A window will open.
• Click the Errors tab.  A popup menu of recent errors will appear at the top of the window.
• From the popup menu, select that Error 453009 which occurred a few hours ago.
• In the upper-left corner of the window, click the life-preserver icon.  An email message to us will appear.
• Send that email message.

• Try and export to Firefox again.  Is the error repeatable?

If it fails again,

• Launch Firefox.
• Quit Firefox.
• Try and export to Firefox again.  Does it still fail?

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

FatalError
Ex Member
Reply #38 - Feb 20th, 2015 at 11:15pm
Print Post  
Sorry, this is very busy times atm here.

Installed 1.22.34, tested
cmd y + cmd u
laucnh chromium, close chromium
cmd y, cmd u

The proposed Export operation will cause 28 items to be added to, 380 items to be updated in, and 28 items to be deleted from Chromium.

The total, 436 changes, exceeds your Safe Sync Limit of 25 for Chromium!  Are you sure you want to do this export?

> export anyhow

close BM

open chromium, close chromium

open BM, cmd y, cmd u

The proposed Export operation will cause 28 items to be added to, 380 items to be updated in, and 28 items to be deleted from Chromium.

The total, 436 changes, exceeds your Safe Sync Limit of 25 for Chromium!  Are you sure you want to do this export?

> export anyhow

Back to the loop.

So next I tried:

open BM, cmd y, cmd u (import from FF, export to all)
launch chromium
quit chromium
file > import from chromium
The Import operation just completed caused 28 items to be added to, 380 items to be updated in, and 28 items to be deleted from mynamehere.bkmslf.

The total, 436 changes, exceeds your Safe Sync Limit of 25 for mynamehere.bkmslf!

Please examine the Content and if you don't like what you see, click Edit ▸ Undo.  To see a summary of the changes, click Reports ▸ Sync Log.

changed a bookmark name
cmd u (export to all)

The proposed Export operation will cause 28 items to be added to, 381 items to be updated in, and 28 items to be deleted from Firefox (default).

The total, 437 changes, exceeds your Safe Sync Limit of 25 for Firefox (default)!  Are you sure you want to do this export?

Export anyhow

Export failed
The operation couldn’t be completed. (SSYSqliterErrorDomain error 453009.)

───── Underlying Cause ─────

The operation couldn’t be completed. (SSYSqliterErrorDomain error 17.)

Sad   sorry I don't have better news.

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #37 - Feb 18th, 2015 at 5:36am
Print Post  
Hello again, FatalError.

We found and fixed a bug today that could have been causing loops like this to start, but I think that you can break the loop even in the current version of BookMacster.  Please try this:

• Quit Chromium if it is running.
• Activate BookMacster.
• File > Export (however you did it yesterday), to Chromium.  If asked, Export Anyhow.  Result: 75 KB file.
• Launch Chromium.  Result: 127 KB file.
• Quit Chromium.
• Activate BookMacster and File > Import from only > Chromium
• Change the name, add, delete or move one bookmark.
• File > Export (however you did it yesterday), to Chromium.  I expect no Safe Limit warning, and that the file size will remain at 127 KB.
• Launch Chromium.    I expect that the file size will remain at 127 KB.
• Quit Chromium.
• Activate BookMacster.
• File > Export (however you did it yesterday), to Chromium.  I expect no Safe Limit warning, and that the file size will remain at 127 KB.

From then on, I expect you should be able to Export, Import, Launch Chromium, and Quit Chromium, doing these things in any order, with no Safe Limit warnings, and the file size will remain at 127 KB.

In other words, the loop should be "broken" by importing to BookMacster.  Does that work?
« Last Edit: Feb 18th, 2015 at 6:37am by Jerry Krinock »  

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

FatalError
Ex Member
Reply #36 - Feb 17th, 2015 at 9:59am
Print Post  
Greetings and sorry for keeping you busy with this edge case glitch probably not too many of your users are seeing anyways.

The bookmarks file was 130KB when I first found it. Sync to all w chromium closed > export anyhow > file then is 75KB.

Launch chromium > 127KB

Export from BM > Export anyhow > 75KB

Launch Chromium > 127KB

Export from BM > Export anyhow > 75KB

fantastic loop!

I'm a little confused about the versions you name. The version numbers seem to be identical. Maybe a copy paste error?

Finally a reproducable case on your side. I should have informed you of the updated chromium earlier - sorry!

Hope this is an entry point to finding a fix or reporting a bug to chromium if it's not your bug.

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #35 - Feb 17th, 2015 at 6:42am
Print Post  
FatalError, Chromium 40.0.2214.111 works fine for me.  However, I am now able to reproduce the problem as you reported with today's nightly build of Chrome Canary, 40.0.2214.111.  Yesterday's did not do this.

Try this:

• Activate Finder.
• Click in the menu: Go > Go to folder….  A small text field will appear.
• Copy this path and paste it into that field:
         ~/Library/Application Support/Chromium/Default/
A Finder window will open.
• In that window, put your eyes on the file named Bookmarks and if necessary adjust the View settings so that you can see the file's size.
• Now repeat the experiment of repeating: Quit Chromium, Export from BookMacster, launch Chromium, repeat.

What I see is that, after launching Chromium, the size of the Bookmarks file increases by about a factor of 2.  Do you see that?

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

FatalError
Ex Member
Reply #34 - Feb 16th, 2015 at 2:53pm
Print Post  
by now on Version 40.0.2214.111 (64-bit)
http://sourceforge.net/projects/osxportableapps/files/Chromium/

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #33 - Feb 16th, 2015 at 2:41pm
Print Post  
Not reproducible for me, Fatal Error.  I have ~1700 bookmarks.  Here's what I did:

• Export to both Chromium and Google Chrome Canary.
• Launch both Chromium and Canary.
• Wait 5 minutes to be sure they've had a chance to do their thing.
• Quit both Chromium and Canary.
• Export to both Chromium and Google Chrome Canary.

Result: +0 Δ0 ↖0 ↕0 -0 changes, or Same --> Skip, which is what happens after the second no-change export when BookMacster sees that the hashes are the same, it cleverly doesn't even bother to compare them.

What versions do you have?  I have:

Chromium 40.0.2214.94 (64-bit)
Canary 42.0.2305.2 canary (64-bit)

These are the latest versions I can find.

And, sorry if I keep asking this, are you Signed in to Chromium?

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

FatalError
Ex Member
Reply #32 - Feb 16th, 2015 at 11:06am
Print Post  
Maybe we're getting closer.

Chromium is not my main browser but rather a fallbackoption. So most times it is closed. If I keep it closed, the sync stays at "0" for chromium.

Now, open chromium and close it. Sync to all and see

The proposed Export operation will cause 17 items to be added to, 25 items to be updated in, and 17 items to be deleted from Chromium.

The total, 59 changes, exceeds your Safe Sync Limit of 25 for Chromium!  Are you sure you want to do this export?

"Export anyhow".

With chromium closed, sync to all > Chromium "0" changes.

Open + close chromium > back to

The proposed Export operation will cause 17 items to be added to, 25 items to be updated in, and 17 items to be deleted from Chromium.

The total, 59 changes, exceeds your Safe Sync Limit of 25 for Chromium!  Are you sure you want to do this export?

This is reproducible.

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #31 - Feb 16th, 2015 at 2:48am
Print Post  
Well, the fact that it's all "0" changes on the second sync means that BookMacster is able to correctly export to Chromium; at least, Chromium does not immediately barf on the export.

BookMacster uses a slightly different "style", depending on whether Chromium is running in the subject profile or not.  If you click in the menu: BookMacster > Logs it will tell you what style was used.  You can use the search field to filter for the word "style".   An entry that reads:

Will write to Chromium in style 1

means that Chromium was not running, and BookMacster accessed the bookmarks file directly.

An entry that reads

Will write to Chromium in style 2

means that Chromium was running, and BookMacster accessed the bookmarks via its Chromium extension.

(Before each "write to" will be a "read from".  That's part of the same export.)

By having Chromium running and not running, see if you are able to export repeatedly in both Style 1 and Style 2 with +0 Δ0 ↖0 ↕0 -0 changes.

If so, then if you turn on syncing, and say tomorrow morning at 9:00 AM you see a Safe Sync Limit warning, it means that something hit your Chromium bookmarks and probably changed many or all of the unique identifiers in the bookmarks a few minutes earlier.  Then ask yourself: What happened a few minutes earlier?  Was Chromium running?  What was I doing?  If you want to see the exact time of the hit, look in BookMacster > Logs for Invoked for Agnt.

Sorry for the indirect answer  Undecided

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #30 - Feb 16th, 2015 at 2:45am
Print Post  
Jerry Krinock wrote on Feb 16th, 2015 at 2:42am:
Well, the fact that it's all "0" changes on the second sync means that BookMacster is able to correctly export to Chromium; at least, Chromium does not immediately barf on the export.

BookMacster uses a slightly different "style", depending on whether Chromium is running in the subject profile or not.  If you click in the menu: BookMacster > Logs it will tell you what style was used.  You can use the search field to filter for the word "style".   An entry that reads:

Will write to Chromium in style 1

means that Chromium was not running, and BookMacster accessed the bookmarks file directly.

An entry that reads

Will write to Chromium in style 2

means that Chromium was running, and BookMacster accessed the bookmarks via its Chromium extension.

(Before each "write to" will be a "read from".  That's part of the same export.)

By having Chromium running and not running, see if you are able to export repeatedly in both Style 1 and Style 2 with +0 Δ0 ↖0 ↕0 -0 changes.

If so, then if you turn on syncing, and say tomorrow morning at 9:00 AM you see a Safe Sync Limit warning, it means that something hit your Chromium bookmarks a few minutes earlier.  Then ask yourself: What happened a few minutes earlier?  Was Chromium running?

Sorry for the indirect answer  Undecided

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 
Send TopicPrint